A few miles off the coast of northern Kenya, the Lamu Archipelago is peaceful and beautiful.
Transport is by donkey or on foot, beaches are deserted and the most common sounds are the wind in the grass or the creak of a dhow.
There are two main islands in the archipelago — Lamu Island and Manda Island. Sprinkled about these in the turquoise sea are tiny coral atolls and white sandbanks.
Most visitors to the archipelago base themselves on Lamu Island. At 16 kilometers long and seven kilometers wide, it resembles a miniature version of Zanzibar but is much quieter. On the northeast coast Lamu Town is a World Heritage Site that simply must be explored. Venturing further afield you will find the 12-kilometer beach on the south coast and the pretty fishing village of Shela.
A short boat ride away, Manda Island is quieter still, with beaches just made for picnics and relaxing in the sun.
Map of Lamu Archipelago
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lamu Archipelago
- The Tana Delta 73 kilometers away
- Watamu 154 kilometers away
- Kenya's Coastline 188 kilometers away
- Mombasa 240 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 244 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 244 kilometers away
- Diani Beach 273 kilometers away
- Funzi Island 302 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 344 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 349 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 402 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 407 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 421 kilometers away
- Nairobi 469 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 474 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 477 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 479 kilometers away