Visit Nairobi, Kenya
Nairobi is the largest city in East Africa. It began as a shantytown depot for the East Africa Railroad in 1899 and in 95 years it has become one of the major cities of modern Africa and headquarters of the United Nations.
Nairobi has received bad press in the past, especially with regards to security. It is still not recommended to walk at night, especially in unlit areas and you will notice that your driver may not stop at traffic lights. During the day it is a different matter though. Huge increases in security mean that you can happily wander about, shopping and sightseeing at ease.
It is an interesting place to visit for a day or two, a mosaic of races and cultures and a vibrant and growing city.
Many of the tourist attractions of Nairobi are located in the upmarket suburb of Karen. This is a lovely part of town, wide streets, cattle grazing on the verges, and a variety of houses hiding under leafy trees.
Nairobi's Giraffe Centre
One of the most interesting attractions is a visit to the Giraffe Centre. Run by the African Fund for Endangered Wildlife visitors can feed Rothschild giraffe, learn about giraffe conservation and admire the lively warthogs.
Daphne Sheldrick Orphanage
Also in this part of town is the Daphne Sheldrick Orphanage where you can observe baby elephant from close quarters and the Karen Blixen museum. Finally of course, there is the shopping. You can find everything in Nairobi from soapstone carvings to bright African fabrics, wood carvings and of course the lovely ceramics at Kazuri Beads.
Suggested itineraries featuring Nairobi
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Nairobi, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Nairobi
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Nairobi
- Lake Naivasha 78 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 114 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 118 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 131 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 131 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 151 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 154 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 167 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 175 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 183 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 184 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 188 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 189 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 196 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 205 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 208 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 217 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 218 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 222 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 226 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 227 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 248 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 262 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 268 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 270 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 277 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 278 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 318 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 415 kilometers away
- Watamu 424 kilometers away
- Kenya's Coastline 425 kilometers away
- Mombasa 443 kilometers away
- Diani Beach 458 kilometers away
- Funzi Island 468 kilometers away
- Lamu Archipelago 469 kilometers away