Visit Shaba National Reserve, Kenya
The Shaba National Reserve lies to the east of the Samburu National Park and covers an area of 130 square kilometers north of the Ewaso Ng'iro River. It is remote and wild but there is still plenty of large game to be seen, as well as an array of interesting birdlife.
Shaba National Reserve, Kenya
The Shaba National Reserve lies to the east of the Samburu National Park and covers an area of 130 square kilometers north of the Ewaso Ng'iro River.
Together with the Samburu and Buffalo Springs, Shaba is located in Kenya's Northern Frontier Province, a rugged and little visited region. Driving to the park you will often see Samburu herding cattle through the thorn bush or watering camels in the river. The Ewaso Ng'iro River is life giving for the area. The permanent water ensures that an abundance of wildlife exists in the reserve at all times.
The main attractions are reticulated giraffe, Grevy's zebra, Beisa oryx, the Somali ostrich and the gerenuk. Elephant are plentiful and black rhino, lion, leopard, cheetah, buffalo and hyena can all be seen. Dik diks are always dashing across the red roads whilst vervet monkeys scamper about under the trees.
For such a relatively small area the bird life is strikingly numerous and colorful. Perhaps the most impressive are the immense flocks of helmeted and vulturine guinea fowl which make their way each afternoon to the river bank to drink. Large numbers of marabou storks patrol the skies whist you may also see thousands of sandgrouse and doves.
Map of Shaba National Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Shaba National Reserve
- Samburu National Reserve 38 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 56 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 68 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 71 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 71 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 74 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 76 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 86 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 110 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 122 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 129 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 137 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 193 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 228 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 229 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 232 kilometers away
- Nairobi 248 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 344 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 359 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 362 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 365 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 372 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 376 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 394 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 399 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 402 kilometers away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 415 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 433 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 453 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 454 kilometers away
- Lamu Archipelago 474 kilometers away