Amboseli covers an area of 3,810 square kilometers in southern Kenya and is dominated by the majestic Mount Kilimanjaro.
It is justly famous for its big game — elephant, lion and cheetah are the main attractions — and for its great scenic beauty. There are five main wildlife habitats, plus a generally dry lake-bed — Lake Amboseli — from which the park takes its name. Habitats range from open plains to stands of fever trees, thick thorn-bush and swamps and marshes. All support good wildlife densities.
Wildlife of Amboseli
Elephant, lion, leopard, cheetah, Maasai giraffe and buffalo are some of the big game you may see on a game drive. Plains game is prolific and includes Burchell's zebra, eland, Coke's hartebeest, white-bearded wildebeest, common waterbuck, Thomson's and Grant's gazelle and impala. In the dry bush country and arid area you may find gerenuk and fringe eared oryx. Smaller mammals always in evidence include black-faced vervet monkey and yellow baboon, black backed jackals, spotted hyena and bat eared foxes.
Birdlife is abundant, especially in the vicinity of the swamps and lakes where you can see a large variety of water birds. There are pelicans, kingfishers, crakes, lily-trotters, egrets, hammerkops and the rare Madagascar squacco heron can sometimes be seen. So far, 47 raptors have been identified, including the rare taita falcon and southern banded harrier eagle.
Suggested itinerary featuring Amboseli National Park
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Amboseli National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Amboseli National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Amboseli National Park
- The Chyulu Hills 77 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 126 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 127 kilometers away
- Nairobi 154 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 181 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 182 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 184 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 225 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 244 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 272 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 277 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 277 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 279 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 301 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 320 kilometers away
- Kenya's Coastline 320 kilometers away
- Mombasa 324 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 327 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 327 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 328 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 329 kilometers away
- Watamu 330 kilometers away
- Diani Beach 331 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 331 kilometers away
- Funzi Island 336 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 351 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 354 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 364 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 366 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 376 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 379 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 412 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 420 kilometers away
- Lamu Archipelago 421 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 421 kilometers away
Photos of Amboseli National Park
Accommodation choices for Amboseli National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Amboseli National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Amboseli National Park