Visit Amboseli National Park, Kenya
Amboseli covers an area of 3,810 square kilometres in southern Kenya and is dominated by the majestic Mount Kilimanjaro.
It is justly famous for its big game — elephant, lion and cheetah are the main attractions — and for its great scenic beauty. There are five main wildlife habitats, plus a generally dry lake-bed — Lake Amboseli — from which the park takes its name. Habitats range from open plains to stands of fever trees, thick thorn-bush and swamps and marshes. All support good wildlife densities.
Wildlife of Amboseli
Elephant, lion, leopard, cheetah, Maasai giraffe and buffalo are some of the big game you may see on a game drive. Plains game is prolific and includes Burchells' zebra, eland, Coke's hartebeest, white-bearded wildebeest, common waterbuck, Thomson's and Grant's gazelle and impala. In the dry bush country and arid area you may find gerenuk and fringe eared oryx. Smaller mammals always in evidence include black-faced vervet monkey and yellow baboon, black backed jackals, spotted hyena and bat eared foxes.
Birdlife is abundant, especially in the vicinity of the swamps and lakes where you can see a large variety of water birds. There are pelicans, kingfishers, crakes, lilytrotters, egrets, hammerkops and the rare Madagascar squacco heron can sometimes be seen. So far, 47 raptors have been identified, including the rare taita falcon and southern banded harrier eagle.
Suggested itinerary featuring Amboseli National Park
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Amboseli National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Amboseli National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Amboseli National Park
- The Chyulu Hills 48 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 78 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 79 miles away
- Nairobi 96 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 113 miles away
- Loita Hills 114 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 115 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 140 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 152 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 170 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 173 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 173 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 173 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 187 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 199 miles away
- Kenya's Coastline 199 miles away
- Mombasa 201 miles away
- Meru National Park 203 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 204 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 204 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 205 miles away
- Watamu 205 miles away
- Diani Beach 206 miles away
- Borana Ranch 206 miles away
- Funzi Island 209 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 218 miles away
- The Tana Delta 220 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 226 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 228 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 234 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 235 miles away
- Karisia Hills 256 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 261 miles away
- Lamu Archipelago 262 miles away
- Lake Victoria 262 miles away
Photos of Amboseli National Park
Accommodation choices for Amboseli National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Amboseli National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Tortilis Camp has, in our opinion, the best location in Amboseli. The waterhole is quite busy and in the dry season you can often see elephant come to drink in the heat of the day.
Porini Camp is a semi-permanent mobile camp an hour from Amboseli on Maasai land. Morning and afternoon activities include nature walks with the Maasai and game drives into Amboseli.