Visit Samburu National Reserve, Kenya
The Samburu Reserve stretches stark and rugged toward the Chalbi desert.
The country here is empty and wild, a place of baked brown earth and parched vegetation. The silence is almost eerie and at first you might think this is empty landscape.
Stay for a while, though, and you will find one of Kenya’s most rewarding reserves. Running through Samburu, the Ewaso N’giro River is surrounded by a permanent ribbon of green, with tamarinds, doum palms and acacia provide respite from the sweltering sun.
Wildlife of Samburu
Elephant, buffalo and waterbuck frequent the woodland, impala herds graze under the trees and Grevy’s zebra, Beisa oryx, reticulated giraffe and gerenuk can all be found. Lion, leopard and cheetah are never far away, while, up above, martial eagles, bateleurs and pygmy falcons patrol the skies.
Suggested itinerary featuring Samburu National Reserve
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Samburu National Reserve, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Samburu National Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Samburu National Reserve
- Borana Ranch 21 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 24 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 25 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 28 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 30 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 38 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 45 miles away
- Meru National Park 57 miles away
- Karisia Hills 57 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 59 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 60 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 62 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 97 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 121 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 121 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 126 miles away
- Nairobi 141 miles away
- Loita Hills 197 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 207 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 209 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 210 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 222 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 226 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 227 miles away
- Lake Victoria 246 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 248 miles away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 251 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 253 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 280 miles away
- The Tana Delta 293 miles away
Photos of Samburu National Reserve
Accommodation choices for Samburu National Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Samburu National Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Enjoying a jaw-dropping location high on rocky kopje overlooking the Samburu region’s rust-red landscape and the green mountains of the Mathews Range, Saruni Samburu offers large villas, two pools and a spa.
Set beside a seasonal river, Elephant Bedroom Camp provides a relaxed stay in northern Kenya’s Samburu National Reserve and a true immersion in the area’s wildlife.
Samburu Intrepids has a lovely situation on the banks of the Ewaso Ng'iro River, and the overall feeling is of a place that is shady and cool, peaceful and relaxing.