In the 1930s flying boats landed on Lake Naivasha en route from Durban to London. One of the two permanent lakes in the Rift Valley, the lake now provides vital water for irrigation.
The lake shores are surrounded by flower farms, old colonial houses and small villages of clay and thatch houses.
Wildlife of Lake Naivasha
The birdlife is beautiful and includes fish eagles, white breasted cormorants, ospreys, lily-trotters and black crakes. A number of animals can be found grazing in the lake environs, such as zebra, impala, giraffe, and hippos.
The lake is ideally situated for some relaxation at the start or end of your holiday. It is also within easy reach of Hell’s Gate National Park, where you can enjoy hiking in spectacular scenery.
Suggested itinerary featuring Lake Naivasha
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Lake Naivasha, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Naivasha
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Naivasha
- Lake Nakuru 34 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 34 miles away
- Nairobi 48 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 68 miles away
- Loita Hills 72 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 77 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 84 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 91 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 92 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 98 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 101 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 103 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 104 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 105 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 107 miles away
- Borana Ranch 110 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 126 miles away
- Karisia Hills 131 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 140 miles away
- Meru National Park 140 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 143 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 144 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 150 miles away
- Lake Victoria 158 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 162 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 214 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 215 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 220 miles away
Photos of Lake Naivasha
Accommodation choices for Lake Naivasha
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Naivasha. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.