Visit Sosian Ranch, Kenya
Sosian Ranch, Kenya
Sosian is a 24,000-acre working ranch in the centre of the vast Laikipia Plateau.
The scenery is beautiful, with views to the snow-capped peaks of Mount Kenya, the Aberdares to the south and the cedar-clad Karisia Hills to the north. The Ewaso Narok River, running through the southern section of the ranch has lovely waterfalls.
Wildlife of Sosian
It supports a wide diversity of wildlife and birds and is home to lion, leopard, elephant and buffalo as well as a host of other large mammals. The area supports a number of rare northern species such as the endemic Jackson's hartebeest, Grevy's zebra, and reticulated giraffe. Even the endangered wild dog, thought to be extinct in Laikipia, have returned to the area in healthy numbers and are occasionally seen on Sosian. Grassy plains covering the central part of the ranch abound with herds of gazelle, oryx, hartebeest and eland. Riverine vegetation along the Ewaso Narok and the swamp on the southern boundary of the ranch offer excellent birding.
Restoration of Sosian Ranch
Sosian had been gently crumbling, until 2001 when it was bought with the aim of restoring the ranch back to its original state of health and sharing it with visitors. The ranch now raises a variety of livestock, including boran cattle, Maasai red sheep, and galla goats. It is leading the way in reducing human-predator conflict and livestock losses by building innovative predator-resistant bomas. Other ventures include biltong and honey production for the ranch house.
The ranch works closely with the local Laikipiak Maasai and Samburu tribes by providing employment and allowing grazing during times of drought. In addition, Sosian has formed a water association with the local communities to save the river and swamp on the ranch and has started a tree nursery.
Map of Sosian Ranch
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Sosian Ranch
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 20 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 29 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 33 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 44 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 46 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 52 miles away
- Karisia Hills 55 miles away
- Borana Ranch 56 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 62 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 62 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 62 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 76 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 77 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 85 miles away
- Meru National Park 103 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 106 miles away
- Nairobi 109 miles away
- Loita Hills 147 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 151 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 152 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 167 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 169 miles away
- Lake Victoria 185 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 204 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 213 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 253 miles away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 256 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 258 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 270 miles away
Photos of Sosian Ranch
Accommodation choices for Sosian Ranch
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sosian Ranch. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Sosian Ranch House has a comfortable sitting and dining room have open fireplaces, deep armchairs and a good library with books and games. Activities include game drives and guided walks.