The Ol Pejeta Conservancy is a 90,000 acre wildlife conservancy situated between the foothills of the Aberdares and Mount Kenya.
The conservancy has an extensive variety of animals including the Big Five as well as a chimpanzee sanctuary.
Fauna and Flora International Conservancy
During the colonial era, the area was used as a cattle ranch. However, increasingly elephant populations that previously used the ranch as a migratory corridor took up residence on the property, knocking down fences and making cattle ranching impossible. In 2004 the reserve was purchased by Fauna and Flora International, a UK based conservation organisation and turned into a conservancy.
Wildlife of Ol Pejeta
The conservancy encompasses the Sweetwaters Game Reserve where the chimpanzee sanctuary is located and the old surrounding ranches which have reverted to wilderness. Since 2004 game has come back into the area in large numbers and populations have increased 15% each year. Open plains, acacia forests, hilly slopes and swamps provide diverse habitats for a wide range of species. There are numerous black rhino, elephant, lion, leopard, buffalo, Grévy's zebra, giraffe, cheetah, Thomson's gazelle, Grant's gazelle, black-backed jackals, ostrich, baboons, waterbuck, oryx, eland and more. Birds will not disappoint with several hundred species present on the conservancy.
There are a wide range of activities to enjoy on the conservancy such as game drives, walking safaris and horse riding. With just three camps in the conservancy the area is wild and you rarely see another vehicle. Just an hour's drive from the small settlement of Nanyuki the reserve is easily accessible but offers a very wild experience on the Laikipia Plateau.
Suggested itinerary featuring Ol Pejeta Conservancy
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Ol Pejeta Conservancy, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Ol Pejeta Conservancy
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ol Pejeta Conservancy
- Sosian Ranch 20 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 36 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 36 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 41 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 41 miles away
- Borana Ranch 47 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 59 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 62 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 63 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 65 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 68 miles away
- Karisia Hills 70 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 80 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 82 miles away
- Meru National Park 90 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 93 miles away
- Nairobi 94 miles away
- Loita Hills 140 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 148 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 152 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 156 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 168 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 187 miles away
- Lake Victoria 194 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 194 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 234 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 239 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 251 miles away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 273 miles away
- The Tana Delta 299 miles away
Photos of Ol Pejeta Conservancy
Accommodation choices for Ol Pejeta Conservancy
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ol Pejeta Conservancy. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.