Visit Matthews Mountain Range, Kenya
The Matthews Mountain Range is located in Kenya's Northern Frontier and is one of the wildest areas in the country. The place is home to numerous types of wildlife as well as the famous Samburu people.
Matthews Mountain Range, Kenya
The Matthews Mountain Range is located in Kenya's Northern Frontier and is one of the wildest areas in the country.
The only permanent river in the region, the Ewaso Ng'iro, has cut deep gorges through the mountains. It is fed by seasonal mountain streams where indigenous flowering shrubs and prehistoric cycad palms flourish. There are thick forests, craggy peaks and beautiful open clearings.
Wildlife of the Matthews Mountains
The mountains are a stronghold for many species. Herds of gazelle, oryx, ostrich, and Grevy's zebra share the pasture land with Samburu cattle. Elephant are found in great numbers whilst lion, leopard, greater kudu, waterbuck, giant forest hogs, buffalos and even wild dogs are among the other species found, together with more than 200 bird species.
The Mountain Range environment is being preserved for future generations of Samburu, wildlife and visitors. The Samburu themselves have received great benefits from the guests of the camp in the area, through the Conservation Fee which goes directly to the community and funds education, health care, community development and more.
Map of Matthews Mountain Range
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Matthews Mountain Range
- Karisia Hills 37 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 38 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 47 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 48 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 48 miles away
- Borana Ranch 58 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 58 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 64 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 76 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 82 miles away
- Meru National Park 90 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 93 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 93 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 137 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 137 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 150 miles away
- Nairobi 173 miles away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 213 miles away
- Loita Hills 221 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 237 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 243 miles away
- Lake Victoria 248 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 259 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 261 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 286 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 291 miles away