Visit the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya, Kenya
The national parks and reserves found in Southern Kenya include some of Africa’s most famous parks as well as some of the least known.
Amboseli National Park
Amboseli is the best known and famous for the iconic images of great bull elephants with the snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro behind. It is a park of dramatic scenery and prolific game, particularly in the dry season. However Amboseli is a park that is best visited out of peak season. In July and August it is firmly on the tourist trail and clusters of game viewing vehicles appear around the animals. Out of season, particularly in the rains, the park is beautiful. Lush grass covers the plains, it is a time of plenty for the game, but a time when other game viewing vehicles are sparse.
Tsavo National Park
Tsavo National Park is split into Tsavo East and Tsavo West. Tsavo East, north of the Nairobi to Mombasa road has thick acacia woodland few places to stay. Tsavo West however has grassy plains, riverine forest and numerous waterholes. Like Amboseli, Tsavo is a park that we recommend visiting only out of the peak season. In July and August a number of the coastal hotels run day trips to the park and game viewing trails can become congested. However, in the rains the park is beautiful and much more peaceful.
In total contrast to Amboseli and Tsavo the Chyulu Hills are remote and receive only a handful of visitors, even in peak season. Rolling hills with views towards Kilimanjaro are home to pockets of wild game. It is a wonderful area to enjoy nature drives and spectacular walking and horse-riding. Sundowners on the tops of kopjes are magical with views of endless wilderness and Mount Kilimanjaro in the distance
Places to visit in the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
- Amboseli National Park The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
- The Chyulu Hills The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
- Tsavo East National Park The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
- Tsavo West National Park The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
- Kenya's Coastline 97 miles away
- Watamu 97 miles away
- The Tana Delta 109 miles away
- Mombasa 111 miles away
- Diani Beach 125 miles away
- Funzi Island 136 miles away
- Lamu Archipelago 152 miles away
- Nairobi 168 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 186 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 202 miles away
- Meru National Park 202 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 215 miles away
- Loita Hills 217 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 225 miles away
- Borana Ranch 230 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 234 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 234 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 245 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 247 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 247 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 248 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 253 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 253 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 255 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 269 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 272 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 279 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 286 miles away
- Karisia Hills 295 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 295 miles away
Photos of the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
Accommodation choices for the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Located in the recently formed Lumo Community Wildlife Sanctuary, Lions Bluff Lodge is one of the most dramatically positioned lodges in the country.
Tortilis Camp has, in our opinion, the best location in Amboseli. The waterhole is quite busy and in the dry season you can often see elephant come to drink in the heat of the day.
Porini Camp is a semi-permanent mobile camp an hour from Amboseli on Maasai land. Morning and afternoon activities include nature walks with the Maasai and game drives into Amboseli.