Tsavo National Park covers an area of 20,807 square kilometres and is Kenya’s largest wildlife stronghold. The park has a diversity of habitats: open plains alternating with savannah bush and semi-desert scrub, acacia woodlands, belts of riverine vegetation and palm thickets. The park is bisected by the main Nairobi–Mombasa road and railway. The portion lying north of the road is known as Tsavo East and the portion to the south, Tsavo West.
Tsavo West contains about half of this area and its habitat includes open plains and savannah bush, semi-desert scrub, acacia woodlands, numerous rocky ridges and outcrops and swathes of riverine vegetation. Toward the Chyulu Hills, the landscape is of recent volcanic origin with some spectacular lava flows.
The park is strikingly beautiful, particularly in the northern section close to the Chyulu Hills. It is possible to drive up to some fabulous vantage points such as Poacher’s Lookout where on a clear day it is possible to view Mount Kilimanjaro. One of Tsavo West’s main attractions is the Mzima Springs, where sparkling crystal-clear springs are home to hippo and crocodile that can be watched from an underground lookout. In addition, the Ngulia Rhino Sanctuary is a 70 square kilometre fenced reserve, established to protect the black rhino, and this is one of the few places in the country where it is possible to view this incredible creature.
The game in Tsavo can vary considerably throughout the year and is at its best at the end of the dry season. In general it is not a reserve to come and tick off large numbers of big game, but predators are not uncommon and it’s also possible to see large herds of elephant as well as buffalo, common waterbuck, eland, gerenuk, fringe-eared oryx, impala and Maasai giraffe.
Birdlife is wonderful, and during a stay in the park you can expect to see starlings, parrots, barbets, rollers, storks, herons and more.
Map of Tsavo West National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tsavo West National Park
- The Chyulu Hills 58 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 69 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 72 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 79 miles away
- Mombasa 127 miles away
- Diani Beach 129 miles away
- Funzi Island 131 miles away
- Kenya's Coastline 131 miles away
- Watamu 142 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 156 miles away
- Nairobi 167 miles away
- The Tana Delta 173 miles away
- Loita Hills 192 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 214 miles away
- Lamu Archipelago 217 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 230 miles away
- Meru National Park 244 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 245 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 247 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 247 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 247 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 250 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 251 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 254 miles away
- Borana Ranch 260 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 261 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 270 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 278 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 280 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 282 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 291 miles away
Photos of Tsavo West National Park
Accommodation choices for Tsavo West National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tsavo West National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Tsavo West National Park