Tsavo National Park covers an area of 20,807 square kilometers and is Kenya’s largest wildlife stronghold. The park has a diversity of habitats: open plains alternating with savannah bush and semi-desert scrub, acacia woodlands, belts of riverine vegetation and palm thickets. The park is bisected by the main Nairobi–Mombasa road and railway. The portion lying north of the road is known as Tsavo East and the portion to the south, Tsavo West.
Tsavo West contains about half of this area and its habitat includes open plains and savannah bush, semi-desert scrub, acacia woodlands, numerous rocky ridges and outcrops and swathes of riverine vegetation. Towards the Chyulu Hills, the landscape is of recent volcanic origin with some spectacular lava flows.
The park is strikingly beautiful, particularly in the northern section close to the Chyulu Hills. It is possible to drive up to some fabulous vantage points such as Poacher’s Lookout where on a clear day it is possible to view Mount Kilimanjaro. One of Tsavo West’s main attractions is the Mzima Springs, where sparkling crystal-clear springs are home to hippo and crocodile that can be watched from an underground lookout. In addition, the Ngulia Rhinoceros Sanctuary is a 70 square kilometer fenced reserve, established to protect the black rhino, and this is one of the few places in the country where it is possible to view this incredible creature.
The game in Tsavo can vary considerably throughout the year and is at its best at the end of the dry season. In general it is not a reserve to come and tick off large numbers of big game, but predators are not uncommon and it’s also possible to see large herds of elephant as well as buffalo, common waterbuck, eland, gerenuk, fringe-eared oryx, impala and Maasai giraffe.
Birdlife is wonderful, and during a stay in the park you can expect to see starlings, parrots, barbets, rollers, storks, herons and more.
Map of Tsavo West National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tsavo West National Park
- The Chyulu Hills 93 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 112 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 115 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 127 kilometers away
- Mombasa 203 kilometers away
- Diani Beach 207 kilometers away
- Funzi Island 210 kilometers away
- Kenya's Coastline 210 kilometers away
- Watamu 228 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 250 kilometers away
- Nairobi 268 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 277 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 308 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 344 kilometers away
- Lamu Archipelago 349 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 369 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 393 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 393 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 397 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 397 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 398 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 402 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 404 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 409 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 418 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 420 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 433 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 447 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 450 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 454 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 467 kilometers away
Photos of Tsavo West National Park
Accommodation choices for Tsavo West National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tsavo West National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.