In the 1930s flying boats landed on Lake Naivasha en route from Durban to London. One of the two permanent lakes in the Rift Valley, the lake now provides vital water for irrigation.
The lake shores are surrounded by flower farms, old colonial houses and small villages of clay and thatch houses.
Wildlife of Lake Naivasha
The birdlife is beautiful and includes fish eagles, white breasted cormorants, ospreys, lily-trotters and black crakes. A number of animals can be found grazing in the lake environs, such as zebra, impala, giraffe, and hippos.
The lake is ideally situated for some relaxation at the start or end of your vacation. It is also within easy reach of Hell’s Gate National Park, where you can enjoy hiking in spectacular scenery.
Suggested itinerary featuring Lake Naivasha
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Lake Naivasha, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Naivasha
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Naivasha
- Lake Nakuru 54 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 54 kilometers away
- Nairobi 78 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 110 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 115 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 123 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 136 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 147 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 147 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 157 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 163 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 165 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 167 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 169 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 172 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 176 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 202 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 211 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 225 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 225 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 230 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 232 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 240 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 254 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 260 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 344 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 346 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 353 kilometers away
Photos of Lake Naivasha
Accommodation choices for Lake Naivasha
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Naivasha. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Loldia is a lovely place to stay. It has lots of character. Sitting on the veranda looking over the green lawns and lake beyond is about as good as it gets. We warmly recommend it for a relaxing start or finish to a safari.