Visit Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Kenya
Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Kenya
The Ol Pejeta Conservancy is a 90,000 acre wildlife conservancy situated between the foot hills of the Aberdares and Mount Kenya.
The conservancy has an extensive variety of animals including the big five as well as a chimpanzee sanctuary.
Fauna and Flora International Conservancy
During the colonial era, the area was used as a cattle ranch. However, increasingly elephant populations that previously used the ranch as a migratory corridor took up residence on the property, knocking down fences and making cattle ranching impossible. In 2004 the reserve was purchased by Fauna and Flora International, a UK based conservation organization and turned into a conservancy.
Wildlife of Ol Pejeta
The conservancy encompasses the Sweetwaters Game Reserve where the chimpanzee sanctuary is located and the old surrounding ranches which have reverted to wilderness. Since 2004 game has come back into the area in large numbers and populations have increased 15% each year. Open plains, acacia forests, hilly slopes and swamps provide diverse habitats for a wide range of species. There are numerous black rhino, elephant, lion, leopard, buffalo, Grevy's zebra, giraffe, cheetah, Thomson's gazelle, Grant's gazelle, black-backed jackals, ostrich, baboons, waterbuck, oryx, eland and more. Birds will not disappoint with several hundred species present on the conservancy.
There are a wide range of activities to enjoy on the conservancy such as game drives, walking safaris and horse-riding. With just three camps in the conservancy the area is wild and you rarely see another vehicle. Just an hour's drive from the small settlement of Nanyuki the reserve is easily accessible but offers a very wild experience on the Laikipia Plateau.
Suggested Ol Pejeta Conservancy itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Ol Pejeta Conservancy, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Ol Pejeta Conservancy
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ol Pejeta Conservancy
- Sosian Ranch 32 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 58 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 58 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 66 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 66 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 75 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 95 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 100 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 101 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 105 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 110 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 112 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 129 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 132 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 144 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 150 kilometers away
- Nairobi 151 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 225 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 238 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 244 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 251 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 271 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 301 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 312 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 312 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 376 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 384 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 404 kilometers away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 439 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 482 kilometers away
Photos of Ol Pejeta Conservancy
Accommodation choices for Ol Pejeta Conservancy
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ol Pejeta Conservancy. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Set on the banks of the Ewaso Nyiro River in the Laikipia Plateau’s Ol Pejeta Conservancy, this traditionally styled bush camp offers a stripped-back safari experience and a wide range of activities.
This small, friendly camp has just the right amount of simplicity and luxury, set in a peaceful location beside a waterhole in the Ol Pejeta Conservancy.
Porini Rhino Camp is located in the Ol Pejeta Conservancy. Guests enjoy morning, evening and night game drives, sundowners at scenic viewing points and escorted bush walks with Maasai warriors and safari guide.