Visit Samburu National Reserve, Kenya
The Samburu Reserve stretches stark and rugged toward the Chalbi Desert.
The country here is empty and wild, a place of baked brown earth and parched vegetation. The silence is almost eerie and at first you might think this is empty landscape.
Stay for a while, though, and you will find one of Kenya’s most rewarding reserves. Running through Samburu, the Ewaso N’giro River is surrounded by a permanent ribbon of green, with tamarinds, doum palms and acacia provide respite from the sweltering sun.
Wildlife of Samburu
Elephant, buffalo and waterbuck frequent the woodland, impala herds graze under the trees and Grevy’s zebra, Beisa oryx, reticulated giraffe and gerenuk can all be found. Lion, leopard and cheetah are never far away, while, up above, martial eagles, bateleurs and pygmy falcons patrol the skies.
Suggested itinerary featuring Samburu National Reserve
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Samburu National Reserve, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Samburu National Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Samburu National Reserve
- Borana Ranch 33 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 38 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 40 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 44 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 48 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 62 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 73 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 91 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 92 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 95 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 96 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 100 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 156 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 194 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 194 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 202 kilometers away
- Nairobi 227 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 316 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 333 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 336 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 338 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 357 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 364 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 365 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 395 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 398 kilometers away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 404 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 407 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 450 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 471 kilometers away
Photos of Samburu National Reserve
Accommodation choices for Samburu National Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Samburu National Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Enjoying a jaw-dropping location high on rocky kopje overlooking the Samburu region’s rust-red landscape and the green mountains of the Mathews Range, Saruni Samburu offers large villas, two pools and a spa.
Set beside a seasonal river, Elephant Bedroom Camp provides a relaxed stay in northern Kenya’s Samburu National Reserve and a true immersion in the area’s wildlife.
Samburu Intrepids has a lovely situation on the banks of the Ewaso Ng'iro River, and the overall feeling is of a place that is shady and cool, peaceful and relaxing.