Visit the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya, Kenya
The national parks and reserves found in Southern Kenya include some of Africa’s most famous parks as well as some of the least known.
Amboseli National Park
Amboseli is the best known and famous for the iconic images of great bull elephants with the snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro behind. It is a park of dramatic scenery and prolific game, particularly in the dry season. However Amboseli is a park that is best visited out of peak season. In July and August it is firmly on the tourist trail and clusters of game viewing vehicles appear around the animals. Out of season, particularly in the rains, the park is beautiful. Lush grass covers the plains, it is a time of plenty for the game, but a time when other game viewing vehicles are sparse.
Tsavo National Park
Tsavo National Park is split into Tsavo East and Tsavo West. Tsavo East, north of the Nairobi to Mombasa road, has thick acacia woodland and a few places to stay. Tsavo West however has grassy plains, riverine forest and numerous waterholes. Like Amboseli, Tsavo is a park that we recommend visiting only out of the peak season. In July and August a number of the coastal hotels run day trips to the park and game viewing trails can become congested. However, in the rains the park is beautiful and much more peaceful.
In total contrast to Amboseli and Tsavo the Chyulu Hills are remote and receive only a handful of visitors, even in peak season. Rolling hills with views toward Kilimanjaro are home to pockets of wild game. It is a wonderful area to enjoy nature drives and spectacular walking and horse-riding. Sundowners on the tops of kopjes are magical with views of endless wilderness and Mount Kilimanjaro in the distance.
Places to visit in the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
- Amboseli National Park The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
- The Chyulu Hills The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
- Tsavo East National Park The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
- Tsavo West National Park The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
- Kenya's Coastline 155 kilometers away
- Watamu 156 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 175 kilometers away
- Mombasa 179 kilometers away
- Diani Beach 201 kilometers away
- Funzi Island 218 kilometers away
- Lamu Archipelago 244 kilometers away
- Nairobi 270 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 299 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 324 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 325 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 346 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 348 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 362 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 369 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 376 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 376 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 394 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 397 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 398 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 398 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 407 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 407 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 411 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 432 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 438 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 449 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 459 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 474 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 475 kilometers away
Photos of the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
Accommodation choices for the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Located in the recently formed Lumo Community Wildlife Sanctuary, Lions Bluff Lodge is one of the most dramatically positioned lodges in the country.
Tortilis Camp has, in our opinion, the best location in Amboseli. The waterhole is quite busy and in the dry season you can often see elephant come to drink in the heat of the day.
Porini Camp is a semi-permanent mobile camp an hour from Amboseli on Maasai land. Morning and afternoon activities include nature walks with the Maasai and game drives into Amboseli.