Visit Watamu, Kenya
Watamu, south of Malindi is best known for the Watamu Marine National Park - a spectacular coral reef alive with tropical fish and only a short boat ride, or energetic swim at low tide.
The beach is really a series of wide sandy bays separated by rocky outcrops.
Watamu's marine life
The area is distinctive with its craggy rock islands dotting the bays. Dark and jagged with narrow necks, they invite exploration. At low tide it is possible to walk out to many of these strange isolated formations. Ghost crabs skitter out of sight, and impossible shapes have been sculpted by the sea. Rock pools ring the islands revealing their treasure of shells, seaweed and bright fish each day when the tide is out. Away from the beach there are other things to see.
The Mida Creek is a wonderful place for a quiet day trip as the mud flats and mangroves are home to a multitude of birds. You may like to wander in to Watamu village for a spot of shopping or take a trip to the Gedi Ruins, a mysteriously abandoned Swahili city.
Watamu has only a handful of hotels but a number of private beach front homes. At certain times of year (especially May until the end of September) a great deal of seaweed is washed onto the Watamu beaches. Apart from these times, the beach is a shimmering stretch of white sand - perfect for relaxation.
Accommodation choices for Watamu
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Watamu. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Watamu
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Watamu, and which use the best local guides.
Map of Watamu
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Watamu
- Kenya's Coastline 34 kilometers away
- Mombasa 88 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 95 kilometers away
- Diani Beach 122 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 150 kilometers away
- Funzi Island 150 kilometers away
- Lamu Archipelago 154 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 156 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 228 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 258 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 330 kilometers away
- Nairobi 424 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 436 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 438 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 452 kilometers away