Visit the Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya, Kenya
The national parks and game reserves of Northern Kenya tend to be large, wild and visited by far fewer visitors than those of Southern Kenya. There are three main parks — Samburu National Park, Shaba National Reserve and Meru National Park.
Samburu National Park
Samburu National Park is located on the beautiful Ewaso Ng’iro River and known for its large elephant populations. There are a couple of larger lodges, however they stick to rigid game viewing hours and if you explore out of these times you have the park to yourself. The muddy waters of the river are home to numerous hippos and crocodiles and birds flit about the riverine forest. Away from the river, plains are home to Kenya’s rarer northern species including the gerenuk, reticulated giraffe, Grevy’s zebra as well as big game including buffalo, lion, leopard and more.
Shaba National Reserve
Shaba National Reserve lies to the east of Samburu and remains a relatively wild and unexplored area. Most easily accessible on a fly-in safari there are just two camps in opposite ends of the park, the one to stay in being Joy’s Camp, on the site of George & Joy Adamson’s original camp. Like Samburu, Shaba is home to lots of Kenya’s rarer northern species as well as big game. However, as the game is still unaccustomed to vehicles this is not a park for people to come and tick off big numbers, rather it is for those looking to enjoy wild game in a wilderness area.
Meru National Park
Finally Meru is well off the mainstream tourist circuit. With only two tiny camps and a couple of research stations this is a park to explore in open 4WD’s and on foot. Scenery in Meru is dramatic with towering kopjes covered in acacia woodland, grassy plains and small rivers and streams flanked by dense riverine vegetation. For many years the game was sparse and skittish in Meru, however in recent years numbers have increased strongly and game is more relaxed around vehicles. Elephant, black rhino, reticulated giraffe, Grevy's and common zebra, Grant's gazelle, lesser kudu and gerenuk are all present as well as black-maned lions, leopard and cheetah.
Places to visit in the Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
KenyaView this tour
KenyaView this tour
Map of the Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya
- Meru National Park The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya
- Samburu National Reserve The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya
- Shaba National Reserve The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya
- Borana Ranch 84 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 87 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 102 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 133 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 149 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 150 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 161 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 171 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 187 kilometers away
- Nairobi 222 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 230 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 240 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 244 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 244 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 304 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 324 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 329 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 332 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 333 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 335 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 365 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 377 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 379 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 393 kilometers away
- Lamu Archipelago 402 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 402 kilometers away
- Watamu 436 kilometers away
- Kenya's Coastline 453 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 461 kilometers away
Photos of the Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya
Accommodation choices for the Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Elsa's Kopje is perched on the top of Mughwango Hill, the site of George Adamson's first camp in Meru. From almost everywhere in the lodge you have the most superb views, it feels like a window over Africa.
Enjoying a jaw-dropping location high on rocky kopje overlooking the Samburu region’s rust-red landscape and the green mountains of the Mathews Range, Saruni Samburu offers large villas, two pools and a spa.
Set beside a seasonal river, Elephant Bedroom Camp provides a relaxed stay in northern Kenya’s Samburu National Reserve and a true immersion in the area’s wildlife.
Samburu Intrepids has a lovely situation on the banks of the Ewaso Ng'iro River, and the overall feeling is of a place that is shady and cool, peaceful and relaxing.