Stretching over a vast area from the foothills of Mount Kenya to the shores of Lake Baringo, the Laikipia Plateau is one of Kenya’s lesser known wildlife areas.
Wildlife of the Laikipia Plateau
It harbors more endangered species than anywhere else in East Africa. This is the place to see Grévy's zebra, Jackson’s hartebeest and wild dog. Many northern species are found including reticulated giraffe, Somali ostrich, beisa oryx and gerenuk. There are large elephant populations, thriving lion, leopard and cheetah and numerous impala and gazelle.
The land on the plateau is divided into huge wildlife conservancies, sometimes known as ranches after the farms that used to exist there. All are now devoted to wildlife conservation. There are seven large conservancies: Borana Ranch, Il Ngwesi Group Ranch, the Lekurruki Group Ranch, Sabuk Wilderness, Lewa Wilderness Conservancy, Loisaba Wilderness and Sosian Ranch.
Local Maasai communities
All the conservancies are very different from each other. Some, such as Il Ngwesi and Lekurruki are run by Maasai communities. Others, such as Lewa have been instrumental in research and education and as a guest you can learn about the ongoing projects. Sabuk works closely with Samburu communities as well as running camel treks into remote wilderness whilst Loisaba was the creator of the inventive ‘star bed’.
All of the conservancies are far from the beaten track and the place to relax in total wilderness. You might track elephant on foot, ride a camel across rugged plains or watch the sunset from the top of a kopje. The earth is brick red and game wild and unfettered as far as the eye can see.
Places to visit in the Laikipia Plateau
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Laikipia Plateau, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring the Laikipia Plateau
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Laikipia Plateau, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Laikipia Plateau
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Laikipia Plateau
- Borana Ranch The Laikipia Plateau
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch The Laikipia Plateau
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy The Laikipia Plateau
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy The Laikipia Plateau
- Ol Lentille Conservancy The Laikipia Plateau
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy The Laikipia Plateau
- Sosian Ranch The Laikipia Plateau
- Karisia Hills 93 kilometers away
- Lake Nakuru 110 kilometers away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 110 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 149 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 156 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 157 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 193 kilometers away
- Nairobi 226 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 234 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 236 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 240 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 243 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 250 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 256 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 262 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 299 kilometers away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 366 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 379 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 403 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 475 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 483 kilometers away
Photos of the Laikipia Plateau
Accommodation choices for the Laikipia Plateau
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Laikipia Plateau. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.