Visit the Laikipia Plateau, Kenya
Stretching over a vast area from the foothills of Mount Kenya to the shores of Lake Baringo, the Laikipia Plateau is one of Kenya’s lesser known wildlife areas.
Wildlife of the Laikipia Plateau
It harbours more endangered species than anywhere else in East Africa. This is the place to see Grevy’s zebra, Jackson’s hartebeest and wild dog. Many northern species are found including reticulated giraffe, Somali ostrich, Beisa oryx and gerenuk. There are large elephant populations, thriving lion, leopard and cheetah and numerous impala and gazelle.
The land on the plateau is divided into huge wildlife conservancies, sometimes known as ranches after the farms that used to exist there. All are now devoted to wildlife conservation. There are seven large conservancies: Borana Ranch, Il N’gwesi Group Ranch, the Lekurruki Group Ranch, Sabuk Wilderness, Lewa Wilderness Conservancy, Loisaba Wilderness and Sosian Ranch.
Local Maasai communities
All the conservancies are very different from each other. Some, such as Il N’gwesi and Lekurruki are run by Maasai communities. Others, such as Lewa have been instrumental in research and education and as a guest you can learn about the ongoing projects. Sabuk works closely with Samburu communities as well as running camel treks into remote wilderness whilst Loisaba was the creator of the inventive ‘star bed’.
All of the conservancies are far from the beaten track and the place to relax in total wilderness. You might track elephant on foot, ride a camel across rugged plains or watch the sunset from the top of a kopje. The earth is brick red and game wild and unfettered as far as the eye can see.
Places to visit in the Laikipia Plateau
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Laikipia Plateau, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested Laikipia Plateau itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Laikipia Plateau, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Laikipia Plateau
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Laikipia Plateau
- Borana Ranch The Laikipia Plateau
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch The Laikipia Plateau
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy The Laikipia Plateau
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy The Laikipia Plateau
- Ol Lentille Conservancy The Laikipia Plateau
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy The Laikipia Plateau
- Sosian Ranch The Laikipia Plateau
- Karisia Hills 58 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 69 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 69 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 93 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 97 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 98 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 120 miles away
- Nairobi 141 miles away
- Meru National Park 146 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 147 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 149 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 151 miles away
- Lake Victoria 155 miles away
- Loita Hills 159 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 163 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 186 miles away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 228 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 235 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 251 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 295 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 300 miles away
Accommodation choices for the Laikipia Plateau
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Laikipia Plateau. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.