The Shompole Conservancy lies 120 kilometres south of Nairobi on the border with Tanzania in the heart of the Great Rift Valley.
It protects 35,000 acres of untouched wilderness and borders onto the shores of Lake Magadi. Dormant volcanoes dot the horizon and towering over the conservancy is the extinct volcano which gives the area its name — Shompole.
Wildlife of the Shompole Conservancy
Running along one edge of the conservancy is the Nguruman escarpment whose forested slopes are home to buffalo and countless bird species. Stretching out from the escarpment are the vast sun baked plains, mud flats and swamp where zebra, giraffe, antelope and warthog roam and at night the resident prides of lion are heard calling to each other.
On the southern border of the conservancy lies Lake Natron, a soda encrusted lake where lesser flamingos come to breed. From the top of the escarpment the views are endless and in the heat of the day during the dry season the wind across the plains whips up the dust into impressive dust devils.
The Maasai community
The conservancy is owned by the local Maasai community and its establishment has helped to both protect this stunning natural habitat and directly benefit the community.
Shompole is, above all, a spectacular wilderness destination and a successful community conservation area.
Map of Shompole Magadi
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Shompole Magadi
- Loita Hills 37 miles away
- Nairobi 71 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 75 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 78 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 91 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 92 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 96 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 118 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 118 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 121 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 156 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 156 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 167 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 183 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 184 miles away
- Lake Victoria 185 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 186 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 186 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 189 miles away
- Borana Ranch 190 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 191 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 195 miles away
- Meru National Park 206 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 208 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 209 miles away
- Karisia Hills 222 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 223 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 237 miles away
- Kenya's Coastline 276 miles away
- Mombasa 279 miles away
- Watamu 281 miles away
- Diani Beach 283 miles away
- Funzi Island 286 miles away
- The Tana Delta 290 miles away