Also known as the Leroghi range, the Karisia Hills lie to the east of Maralal and are superb for trekking.
Walking through the bush, you’ll spot the signs that a leopard has recently passed by or learn to identify a dik-dik’s territory. Herds of frightened guinea-fowl scatter among the thorn bushes, and giraffe canter gently away from unexpected visitors.
Every day is different — walks entail narrow mountain streams then climbing through thickly wooded and tangled under wood. Elephant and buffalo still frequent the forests and can occasionally be seen if you are in a small group.
It is easy to get lost, so you will need a guide, but the landscape is very diverse and the area has dramatic scenery.
Suggested itinerary featuring Karisia Hills
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Karisia Hills, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Karisia Hills
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Karisia Hills
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 29 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 37 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 42 miles away
- Sosian Lodge 55 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 57 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 58 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 62 miles away
- Borana Ranch 69 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 70 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 72 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 76 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 112 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 112 miles away
- Meru National Park 113 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 116 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 131 miles away
- Nairobi 163 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 199 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 200 miles away
- Loita Hills 201 miles away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 205 miles away
- Lake Victoria 213 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 215 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 222 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 256 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 261 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 295 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 300 miles away