Visit Tsavo East National Park, Kenya
Tsavo is not a reserve to come and tick off large numbers of big game. Rather, it is about relaxing and enjoying the animals and birds in a true wilderness.
Tsavo East National Park, Kenya
Tsavo National Park covers an area of 20,807sq km and is Kenya's largest wildlife stronghold. The park is bisected by the main Nairobi - Mombasa road and railway. The portion lying north of the road is known as Tsavo East and the portion to the south, Tsavo West.
Tsavo East is the larger of the two covering just over 12,000sq km although much of the area north of the Galana River is closed to the public. The Southern section of the park is very accessible with a good network of dusty tracks. Certain sections around the Voi Gate can be pretty busy with traffic but the park is so vast that it is possible in other areas to drive several hours without seeing another vehicle.
The terrain is not as varied as in West Tsavo but switches between open plains, semi arid acacia scrub and woodlands. The most scenic section is along the Galana River which flows throughout the year and provides a corridor of lush greenery amongst a frequently harsh and arid landscape. At Lugard Falls the entire river disappears into a rocky grove so narrow that it is possible to stand astride the cleft with the Falls immediately below.
Tsavo is not a reserve to come and tick off large numbers of big game. Rather, it is about relaxing and enjoying the animals and birds in a true wilderness. Elephants in big herds are possibly the main attraction of the park with many converging on the rivers and waterholes to drink in the dry season. Many of these elephants are "red", and this unusual colour is created by taking dust baths in the brick red earth. Lions are not uncommon and it is also a good park to see lesser kudu as well as buffalo, common waterbuck, eland, gerenuk, fringe-eared oryx, impala and Maasai giraffe.
Over five hundred species of birds have been recorded including the saddle billed stork, martial eagle and the violet wood hoopoe.
Map of Tsavo East National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tsavo East National Park
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 6 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 68 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 69 miles away
- Kenya's Coastline 92 miles away
- Watamu 94 miles away
- Mombasa 106 miles away
- The Tana Delta 108 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 115 miles away
- Diani Beach 119 miles away
- Funzi Island 130 miles away
- Lamu Archipelago 152 miles away
- Nairobi 173 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 189 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 207 miles away
- Meru National Park 208 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 220 miles away
- Loita Hills 220 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 231 miles away
- Borana Ranch 235 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 239 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 239 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 250 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 252 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 252 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 253 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 258 miles away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 259 miles away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 274 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 282 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 291 miles away
- Karisia Hills 300 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 300 miles away