Visit Mombasa, Kenya
Mombasa, the second largest city in Kenya, is located on Mombasa Island. It is a steamy, tropical, low rise city with asymmetrical streets, a languid pace and a diverse and intriguing population.
Mombasa is mostly a Swahili town. Women chatter by in dark bui-bui or wrapped in brilliant multi-colored kangas. There are dozens of intricate mosques and temples, pungent open air markets, mazes of narrow lanes crowded with street stalls.
Beaches of Mombasa
Stretching north of Mombasa there are miles of idyllic white sandy beaches. The nearest beach is Nyali Beach, and then Bamburi, Shanzu and Kilambala stretch north. All have a number of large hotels.
The beaches all have soft white sand and many are backed by profusions of palms. There are offshore coral reefs which protect the beach and make superb snorkel spots.
From June to September the beaches have a lot of seaweed washed up onto them. The best time to visit them is from October to April.
Map of Mombasa
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mombasa
- Diani Beach 35 kilometers away
- Kenya's Coastline 54 kilometers away
- Funzi Island 63 kilometers away
- Watamu 88 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 170 kilometers away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 179 kilometers away
- The Tana Delta 182 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 203 kilometers away
- Lamu Archipelago 240 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 263 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 324 kilometers away
- Nairobi 443 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 449 kilometers away