The Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy covers an area of roughly 150 square kilometers. It lies on the edge of the Laikipia Plateau, about 100 kilometers north of Mount Kenya.
The terrain varies enormously across the reserve. In the northern part of the reserve there are the vast grassy plains of the plateau. In the south, the plateau breaks into valleys, escarpments and cliffs. From many of these elevated viewpoints you can see the faint blue outline of Mount Kenya. Finally, in the valleys and lowlands a different ecosystem exists — lush groves of acacia, fig and palms, fed by the waters of the Ewaso Ng’iro and the N'gare Narok rivers.
Wildlife of Loisaba
The diverse habitats of the conservancy support a wide variety of wildlife. It is a haven for over 250 species of birds and 50 species of mammal. Alongside more usual animals there are elephant, buffalo, Grevy's zebra, greater kudu, lion and leopard. That said, this is not a place to come and tick off large numbers of big game, but rather somewhere to enjoy the wildlife in an area of pristine wilderness.
Map of Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 19 miles away
- Karisia Hills 29 miles away
- Sosian Ranch 29 miles away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 40 miles away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 41 miles away
- Samburu National Reserve 45 miles away
- Matthews Mountain Range 48 miles away
- Borana Ranch 49 miles away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 50 miles away
- The Laikipia Plateau 52 miles away
- Shaba National Reserve 68 miles away
- Lake Nakuru 89 miles away
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley 90 miles away
- Meru National Park 97 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 101 miles away
- Lake Naivasha 105 miles away
- Nairobi 135 miles away
- Loita Hills 176 miles away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 179 miles away
- Mara North Conservancy 179 miles away
- Shompole Magadi 195 miles away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 196 miles away
- Lake Victoria 204 miles away
- Amboseli National Park 228 miles away
- The Chyulu Hills 233 miles away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 233 miles away
- The Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 269 miles away
- Tsavo East National Park 274 miles away
- Tsavo West National Park 291 miles away
Photos of Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy
Accommodation choices for Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Loisaba Starbeds are two small camps where you sleep outside, under the stars, hence the name Starbeds. There are two locations: Kiboko, overlooking a waterhole and Koija, overlooking the Ewaso Ng'iro River.