Crystal-blue turquoise coves, white-sand beaches, enigmatic Bronze Age ruins, and a rugged rural interior where time seems to move more slowly... Sardinia is just a short flight from Italy’s mainland, but the island’s fiercely independent culture makes it feel like another world. The local language, Sardo, is largely unintelligible to Italian speakers, and even the calendar is different — the new year starts in September. Our specialists have explored from the yacht-filled marinas of Costa Smeralda to the sandy stretches of beach around the capital city of Cagliari, and can help you get to know this often-overlooked island destination on a Sardinia vacation.
In Barumini, you might delve into the prehistoric Nuragic ruins that litter Sardinia, followed by a tasting of some of the island’s singular wines. You can also explore Sardinia’s distinct cuisine on a private tour of the capital. Perhaps you’d like to meet a shepherd and watch traditional cheese-making traditions, or prefer to simply loll on the deck of a private boat as you soak in the sun and views around La Maddalena. This is a multifaceted island and we can help you explore the aspects that interest you the most.
Places to visit in Sardinia
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Sardinia, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring Sardinia
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Sardinia, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Sardinia
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Sardinia
- Costa Smeralda Sardinia
- Southern Sardinia Sardinia
- Rome 353 kilometers away
- Erice and Trapani 386 kilometers away
- Orvieto 389 kilometers away
- Marsala 393 kilometers away
- Siena 406 kilometers away
- San Gimignano 410 kilometers away
- Pisa 418 kilometers away
- Ischia 424 kilometers away
- Umbria 430 kilometers away
- Perugia 437 kilometers away
- Palermo 437 kilometers away
- Forte dei Marmi 440 kilometers away
- Porto Venere 444 kilometers away
- Capri 445 kilometers away
- Assisi 446 kilometers away
- Florence 448 kilometers away
- Cinque Terre 450 kilometers away
- Naples 451 kilometers away
- Sorrento 459 kilometers away
- Herculaneum 459 kilometers away
- Portofino and Santa Margherita 467 kilometers away
- Pompeii 471 kilometers away
- The Amalfi Coast 478 kilometers away
- Genoa 478 kilometers away
Photos of Sardinia
Accommodation choices for Sardinia
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sardinia. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.