Visit Manafiafy, Madagascar
Manafiafy is a sleepy fishing village on the southern coast of Madagascar, and was where one of the first contacts was made by westerners in Madagascar, as the Portuguese laid anchor in the bay of St Luce in 1613.
Protected by several small islands, the calm blue waters provided safe anchorage.
The village has changed little since those times, the Portuguese, the French and the British have come and gone, yet the smell of fresh cloves, vanilla and coffee still sweeten the air, and the fishermen still paddle their dugout canoes through the safety of the bay to open ocean beyond.
The village is flanked by forest, home to dwarf, mouse, sportive and brown lemurs. Reptiles such as chameleons, snakes, and geckos are all found and the forest has excellent birding.
Offshore there are coral reefs rich in marine life and humpback whales come into the bay from mid June until early December.
Suggested itinerary featuring Manafiafy
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Manafiafy, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Manafiafy
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Manafiafy
- Fort Dauphin 35 kilometers away
- Andohahela National Park 52 kilometers away
- Berenty Reserve 94 kilometers away
- The Southern Tip of Madagascar 104 kilometers away
- Ifotaka Community Forest 112 kilometers away
- Isalo National Park 314 kilometers away
- Ambalavao 329 kilometers away
- Eastern Madagascar 330 kilometers away
- Anakao 382 kilometers away
- Ifaty 392 kilometers away
- Central & Southern Madagascar 393 kilometers away
- Ranomafana National Park 393 kilometers away
Photos of Manafiafy
Accommodation choices for Manafiafy
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Manafiafy. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Manafiafy Beach and Rainforest Lodge is situated on a sheltered, forest fringed bay. It is a truly tranquil setting: azure blue seas, lush verdant forests, and distant mountains.