Anakao is a Vezo fishing village around fifty kilometers south of Tulear.
The terrible roads heading south make boat the best way to reach Anakao and fleets of pirogues line the shore. The inaccessibility of the village means that modern development has largely passed by Anakao.
Beaches and reefs of Anakao
During colonial times, Anakao was a busy fishing port, and this remains the main occupation of the villagers today. Shortly after dawn each morning you'll see the fishermen putting out to sea, and tens of tiny sails flutter across the water. Anakao has some pretty beaches, and offshore lies Nosy Ve. This tiny island has a white sandy shoreline, and is home to hundreds of tropic birds. The reefs off Anakao offer good diving and surfing. While snorkeling it is possible to see a myriad of fish including surgeonfish, angelfish, butterfly fish, groupers and rays.
Wildlife of Anakao
On the outskirts of Anakao village you will find some interesting tombs and once you are clear of the populated areas you start to see wildlife including ring-tailed lemurs, tortoises, chameleons, geckos and other lizards. Three bays south of Anakao is an area of mangrove swamp that is rewarding for birdwatchers. You can often see Madagascar plovers, flamingos, hoopoes, bee-eaters and vasa parrots.
Map of Anakao
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Anakao
- Ifaty 35 kilometers away
- Central & Southern Madagascar 36 kilometers away
- Isalo National Park 211 kilometers away
- Eastern Madagascar 221 kilometers away
- Ifotaka Community Forest 281 kilometers away
- The Southern Tip of Madagascar 283 kilometers away
- Berenty Reserve 309 kilometers away
- Andohahela National Park 334 kilometers away
- The Remote West of Madagascar 347 kilometers away
- Fort Dauphin 372 kilometers away
- Manafiafy 382 kilometers away
- Ambalavao 395 kilometers away
- Ranomafana National Park 473 kilometers away