Visit Ifotaka Community Forest, Madagascar
Ifotaka Community Forest, Madagascar
The Ifotaka Community Forest is as remote as it is wild.
It covers a huge expanse of gallery and spiny forest and has been protected by the Antandroy Tribe, one of Madagascar’s fiercest and most traditional tribes.
Local culture of Ifotaka Community Forest
Their tribal ancestors are buried in the Sacred Forests: guarding their graves, the Antandroy have also preserved pristine wildlife areas. Species including ring-tailed, mouse, sportive and sifaka lemurs are all readily seen, as well as many bird species, including the malachite kingfisher, Lafresnayes and hook billed vangas, Verreauxs coua, crested and giant coua, scops owl and many others.
Tombs and rituals
Many tombs are hidden in the forest undergrowth, and your guide will explain the traditions and rituals of ancestor worship. It is possible to visit the ombiasy (traditional healer), learn how to use the piletse, a zebu-hide sling shot, and take a zebu-cart to the colorful market at Fenaivo.
Suggested itineraries featuring Ifotaka Community Forest
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Ifotaka Community Forest, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Ifotaka Community Forest
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ifotaka Community Forest. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Ifotaka Community Forest
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ifotaka Community Forest
- The Southern Tip of Madagascar 16 kilometers away
- Berenty Reserve 30 kilometers away
- Andohahela National Park 61 kilometers away
- Fort Dauphin 93 kilometers away
- Manafiafy 112 kilometers away
- Isalo National Park 265 kilometers away
- Anakao 281 kilometers away
- Eastern Madagascar 283 kilometers away
- Ifaty 296 kilometers away
- Central & Southern Madagascar 297 kilometers away
- Ambalavao 344 kilometers away
- Ranomafana National Park 420 kilometers away