Visit Isalo National Park, Madagascar
Isalo’s golden sandstone cliffs can be seen rising out of the plains from many miles away.
Isalo National Park
Isalo National Park is home to some of Madagascar’s most stunning scenery, and is a sacred place for the Bara tribe, whose burial sites are marked by mounds of tiny stones placed in crevices in the rock face. Hiking up to the massif, visitors enter a barren wonderland of twisted rock formations and extraordinary plants, shimmering in the heat of the plateau. Squat elephant’s foot plants cling to the rocks, a few dry grasses blow in the wind, and succulent aloes thrive.
Wildlife of Isalo
Wildlife concentrates in the numerous shady gorges and cool running streams that carve through the massif. Deciduous woodland grows in each canyon’s higher levels, and it is here that Isalo’s lemurs are most often found. Brown lemurs feed amongst the branches, Verreaux’s sifakas leap from rock to rock, and troops of cheeky ringtails wander along the pathways.
Descending deeper into the gorges, only a few shafts of sunlight penetrate to the streams below, and dripping mosses and ferns line the walls. Occasionally the streams become blocked, forming tiny tropical pools amongst the rocks. The clear air, tumbling waterfalls, and cool water almost defy belief, and make a wonderful respite from a hot day’s hiking on the plateau.
Suggested Isalo National Park itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Isalo National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Isalo National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Isalo National Park
- Eastern Madagascar 19 kilometers away
- Ambalavao 186 kilometers away
- Ifaty 191 kilometers away
- Central & Southern Madagascar 191 kilometers away
- Anakao 211 kilometers away
- The Remote West of Madagascar 253 kilometers away
- The Southern Tip of Madagascar 256 kilometers away
- Ranomafana National Park 262 kilometers away
- Ifotaka Community Forest 265 kilometers away
- Andohahela National Park 286 kilometers away
- Berenty Reserve 292 kilometers away
- Manafiafy 314 kilometers away
- Fort Dauphin 324 kilometers away
- Antsirabe 348 kilometers away
- The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar 407 kilometers away
- Antananarivo 465 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Isalo National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Isalo National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Isalo National Park
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Isalo National Park, and which use the best local guides.