Visit Fort Dauphin, Madagascar
Settled first by the Portuguese and later by the French, Fort Dauphin has an idyllic location on a peninsula jutting out into the Indian Ocean.
Fort Dauphin's French influence
Today the fort itself is a crumbling ruin, but the French presence is still strong and much of the town is owned by the de Heaulme family. A busy port (in spite of the shipwrecks rusting in Baie de Galions), Fort Dauphin is not particularly beautiful. The natural setting of the town is stunning however, with beaches on three sides and the dark slopes of Pic Loius looming above.
There are a few good hotels in Fort Dauphin and some excellent restaurants, particularly for lovers of seafood.
Suggested itineraries featuring Fort Dauphin
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Fort Dauphin, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Fort Dauphin
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Fort Dauphin. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Fort Dauphin
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Fort Dauphin
- Manafiafy 35 kilometers away
- Andohahela National Park 41 kilometers away
- Berenty Reserve 69 kilometers away
- The Southern Tip of Madagascar 89 kilometers away
- Ifotaka Community Forest 93 kilometers away
- Isalo National Park 324 kilometers away
- Eastern Madagascar 341 kilometers away
- Ambalavao 356 kilometers away
- Anakao 372 kilometers away
- Ifaty 385 kilometers away
- Central & Southern Madagascar 386 kilometers away
- Ranomafana National Park 423 kilometers away