Ambalavao is a very attractive small town, typical of the Central Highlands. The old part of town has wooden balconies with elaborate carvings, tiled roofs and people carrying pails of water.
The town is known for its paper making and is the home of the Malagasy 'Antaimoro' paper which is papyrus based paper with wild flowers in. You can visit the factory which is mostly flowerbeds and have a small tour and visit the shop.
There is a lively cattle market on Monday and Thursdays on the outskirts of town. This starts at 3am so you are unlikely to see the beginning but you will see a large number zebu and herdsmen on the roads.
Map of Ambalavao
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ambalavao
- Ranomafana National Park 83 kilometers away
- Eastern Madagascar 181 kilometers away
- Isalo National Park 186 kilometers away
- Antsirabe 219 kilometers away
- The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar 290 kilometers away
- The Remote West of Madagascar 325 kilometers away
- Manafiafy 329 kilometers away
- Andohahela National Park 330 kilometers away
- The Southern Tip of Madagascar 330 kilometers away
- Antananarivo 330 kilometers away
- Ifotaka Community Forest 344 kilometers away
- Fort Dauphin 356 kilometers away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 357 kilometers away
- Mantadia National Park 359 kilometers away
- Berenty Reserve 360 kilometers away
- Ifaty 376 kilometers away
- Central & Southern Madagascar 377 kilometers away
- Anakao 395 kilometers away
- The Pangalanes Canal 434 kilometers away
Photos of Ambalavao
Accommodation choices for Ambalavao
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ambalavao. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.