Visit the Remote West of Madagascar, Madagascar
The dry deciduous forests are found along the western coast of Madagascar stretching from Diego on Madagascar’s northern tip to Morombe in the southwest.
Huge baobabs, slender pallisander trees and ebony trees all vie for space and sunlight. These deciduous forests are easy to explore with leafy paths winding through the trees.
Wildlife of the western coast of Madagascar
There is a fantastic array of wildlife and some of Madagascar’s most endangered species. Lemurs are plentiful, as are bush pigs, birds, butterflies, snakes and chameleons. The dry deciduous reserves of Madagascar include Ampijoroa, known for rewarding night-walks, Kirindi, an area good for the giant jumping rat, pygmy mouse lemur and the fossa. Anjajavy has troops of Coquerel's sifaka, as well as caves harboring several hundred fuzzy faced fruit bats.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Remote West of Madagascar
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Remote West of Madagascar, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Remote West of Madagascar
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Remote West of Madagascar
- Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve The Remote West of Madagascar
- Ankarana Special Reserve The Remote West of Madagascar
- Eastern Madagascar 236 kilometers away
- Isalo National Park 253 kilometers away
- Central & Southern Madagascar 312 kilometers away
- Ifaty 313 kilometers away
- Antsirabe 316 kilometers away
- Ambalavao 325 kilometers away
- The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar 332 kilometers away
- Anakao 347 kilometers away
- Ranomafana National Park 353 kilometers away
- Antananarivo 402 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Remote West of Madagascar
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Remote West of Madagascar. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This simple hotel is ideally located to explore one of the most unusual regions of northern Madagascar and we would recommend it for a short stay.
In our opinion Anjajavy is the best hotel in Madagascar. It is small and personal, the staff are extremely helpful, the food is superb and the setting unbeatable.