Visit Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve, Madagascar
Idyllically remote on Madagascar’s northwestcoast, Anjajavy is reached only by air.
Flying towards the airstrip you pass thick forest that stops abruptly at the sea, shading white-sand coves separated by limestone headlands. A handful of dhows and pirogues bob in the water and in small clearings you see the thatched huts of the Sakalava fishing villages.
Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve
The Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve covers an area of 450 hectares and is predominantly dry deciduous forest. There are over 1,800 floral species, most endemic and several medicinal. Wildlife is prolific and walks through the forest reveal chameleons, frogs and spore of bush-pigs and the elusive fossa. There are two diurnal lemur species, the common brown lemur and Coquerel’s sifaka, both of which are easily seen. Nocturnal species include sportive and mouse lemurs. A stay at Anjajavy is as much about the coast as it is the forest.
Boat trips explore the mysterious islands of Moramba Bay where there are sacred baobab trees and Sakalava tombs tucked high in caves and on ledges in the limestone cliffs. Running the length of the reserve is a series of small coves, each one more beautiful than the last. Paths lead from one to the other allowing you to take a picnic and your snorkeling equipment and spend an afternoon on your own private beach.
Suggested itineraries featuring Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve
- Baobab Beach 183 kilometers away
- Ankify 202 kilometers away
- Nosy Komba 208 kilometers away
- Nosy Be 216 kilometers away
- Nosy Mitsio Archipelago 274 kilometers away
- Maroantsetra 274 kilometers away
- Nosy Mangabe 279 kilometers away
- Ankarana Special Reserve 307 kilometers away
- Masoala National Park 319 kilometers away
- Amber Mountain National Park and Joffreville 345 kilometers away
- Joffreville Ambohitra 351 kilometers away
- Île Sainte-Marie 358 kilometers away
- Northern Madagascar 361 kilometers away
- Antananarivo 439 kilometers away
- The Pangalanes Canal 456 kilometers away
- Mantadia National Park 457 kilometers away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 457 kilometers away
- The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar 473 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve, and which use the best local guides.