Visit Maroantsetra, Madagascar
Arriving in Maroantsetra is a delight as the airport is tiny and zebu cattle graze the grass on the side of the runway.
People in brightly colored hats and holding umbrellas to shade themselves from the sun walk at a very leisurely pace and you feel very welcome.
Rainforests and beaches of Maroantsetra
It's a place where nothing much happens fast and is ideal for a relaxed stay. A short drive from the airport the town is nestled at the far end of the Bay of Antongil and is Madagascar at its most authentic. The surrounding area has rainforests and beaches and this town provides starting point from which to explore Masoala National Park and Nosy Mangabe.
In town there is often the smell of vanilla and cloves — and looking around you see tables of drying vanilla beans on colorful blankets. The beans are derived from an orchid plant brought here from Mexico and vanilla is a major export product for the eastern coast of Madagascar.
Map of Maroantsetra
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Maroantsetra
- Nosy Mangabe 9 kilometers away
- Masoala National Park 47 kilometers away
- Île Sainte-Marie 168 kilometers away
- Ankify 256 kilometers away
- Nosy Komba 264 kilometers away
- Baobab Beach 267 kilometers away
- Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve 274 kilometers away
- Nosy Be 283 kilometers away
- Ankarana Special Reserve 285 kilometers away
- Nosy Mitsio Archipelago 306 kilometers away
- Amber Mountain National Park and Joffreville 328 kilometers away
- Joffreville Ambohitra 332 kilometers away
- Northern Madagascar 341 kilometers away
- The Pangalanes Canal 358 kilometers away
- Mantadia National Park 415 kilometers away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 416 kilometers away
- Antananarivo 455 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Maroantsetra
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Maroantsetra. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Relais Masoala is a simple but comfortable lodge. The staff are helpful and friendly and the food is excellent. It has a good location as you can explore both the nearby forests to enjoy the wildlife.