Visit Maroantsetra, Madagascar
Arriving in Maroantsetra is a delight as the airport is tiny and zebu cattle graze the grass on the side of the runway.
People in brightly coloured hats and holding umbrellas to shade themselves from the sun walk at a very leisurely pace and you feel very welcome.
Rainforests and beaches of Maroantsetra
It's a place where nothing much happens fast and is ideal for a relaxed stay. A short drive from the airport the town is nestled at the far end of the Bay of Antongil and is Madagascar at its most authentic. The surrounding area has rainforests and beaches and this town provides starting point from which to explore Masoala National Park and Nosy Mangabe.
In town there is often the smell of vanilla and cloves - and looking around you see tables of drying vanilla beans on colourful blankets. The beans are derived from an orchid plant brought here from Mexico and vanilla is a major export product for the eastern coast of Madagascar.
Accommodation choices for Maroantsetra
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Maroantsetra. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Maroantsetra
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Maroantsetra
- Nosy Mangabe 6 miles away
- Masoala National Park 29 miles away
- Île Sainte-Marie 105 miles away
- Ankify 159 miles away
- Nosy Komba 164 miles away
- Baobab Beach 166 miles away
- Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve 171 miles away
- Nosy Be 176 miles away
- Ankarana Special Reserve 178 miles away
- Nosy Mitsio Archipelago 190 miles away
- Amber Mountain National Park and Joffreville 204 miles away
- Joffreville Ambohitra 206 miles away
- Northern Madagascar 212 miles away
- The Pangalanes Canal 222 miles away
- Mantadia National Park 258 miles away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 259 miles away
- Antananarivo 283 miles away