Andasibe is the best park for the indri, the largest lemur. Nocturnal walks are excellent for viewing mouse lemurs and the greater dwarf lemur.
All exploring is done on foot on the trails that weave through the forest and vary in length from one hour to four or five. Walks are particularly rewarding in the early morning when the indri calls echo through the air.
Mantadia National Park
Mantadia National Park, 20 kilometers north of Andasibe, is for the true wildlife enthusiast. Towering trees have buttress roots, there are vines, orchids and ferns and at higher altitudes luxuriant growth of mosses and lichens. The best time to see orchids in bloom is between September and November.
Masoala National Park
Masoala National Park is abundant with tall Palissandre trees, vines, wild ginger plants, ferns and orchids. Walking in the forest you see hundreds of frogs, including the large tomato frog. Chameleons are easily found and commonly seen are the panther chameleon, hooded chameleon and several species of stump-tailed chameleon. Access to the park is by boat from Maroantsetra — do be prepared as this can be a very rough and wet crossing.
The small island of Nosy Mangabe is located in Antongil Bay and is only accessible by small boat. The island has a rich history of trading and piracy; on the west side of the island are rock carvings by Dutch sailors from the 16th century.
Places to visit in Eastern Madagascar
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Eastern Madagascar, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring Eastern Madagascar
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Eastern Madagascar, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Eastern Madagascar
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Eastern Madagascar
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) Eastern Madagascar
- Mantadia National Park Eastern Madagascar
- Maroantsetra Eastern Madagascar
- Masoala National Park Eastern Madagascar
- The Pangalanes Canal Eastern Madagascar
- Isalo National Park 19 kilometers away
- Ambalavao 181 kilometers away
- Ifaty 199 kilometers away
- Central & Southern Madagascar 199 kilometers away
- Anakao 221 kilometers away
- The Remote West of Madagascar 236 kilometers away
- Ranomafana National Park 254 kilometers away
- The Southern Tip of Madagascar 274 kilometers away
- Ifotaka Community Forest 283 kilometers away
- Andohahela National Park 299 kilometers away
- Berenty Reserve 310 kilometers away
- Manafiafy 330 kilometers away
- Antsirabe 333 kilometers away
- Fort Dauphin 341 kilometers away
- The islands & beaches of Madagascar 391 kilometers away
- Antananarivo 451 kilometers away
Photos of Eastern Madagascar
Accommodation choices for Eastern Madagascar
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Eastern Madagascar. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.