Visit the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar, Madagascar
Madagascar is fringed by a number of beautiful islands.
Nosy Be is the best known, a relatively developed place with a number of boutique hotels. Though you can find quiet corners of Nosy Be, we prefer the sleepier islands such as Ile Sainte Marie on the east coast, Nosy Komba off northern Madagascar, or the private islands of Tsarabanjina and Nosy Iranja.
On these islands it is easy to Madagascar’s Islands find deserted beaches with soft sand and clear water. Ghost crabs scuttle across the sand and - particularly in the north - frigate birds can be seen soaring overhead. Many of the islands have villages on or nearby and you become accustomed to the daily sight of dhows sailing past, filled with thatching palms, grain and cows until they float just inches above the water. In villages breadfruit trees shade bamboo huts and zebu cattle graze in the fields.
The islands are perfect for relaxing after the adventurous experience of Madagascar’s rainforests. Flights go regularly from Antananarivo to Ile Sainte Marie while even more fly to Nosy Be, from where boats reach Nosy Komba, Tsarabanjina and Nosy Iranja. Once on the islands, days can be spent snorkeling and diving, pottering around on a bicycle or just lying on the beach.
Places to visit in the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Baobab Beach The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Ifaty The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Île Sainte-Marie The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Nosy Be The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Nosy Komba The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Nosy Mitsio Archipelago The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Antananarivo 71 kilometers away
- Antsirabe 73 kilometers away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 159 kilometers away
- Mantadia National Park 161 kilometers away
- Ranomafana National Park 232 kilometers away
- The Pangalanes Canal 254 kilometers away
- Ambalavao 290 kilometers away
- The Remote West of Madagascar 332 kilometers away
- Eastern Madagascar 391 kilometers away
- Isalo National Park 407 kilometers away
- Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve 473 kilometers away