Boat rides to sleepy islands, beaches lined with ancient baobabs, and whale-watching trips from a former pirate hideout, all along Madagascar’s coast.
While Madagascar is first and foremost known for its forests and the one-of-a-kind wildlife species that live among them, its coast is graced with soft-sand beaches and quiet islands ripe for relaxation. Our specialists have spent time on many of them and can suggest the best spots for your trip, depending on your interests. Travel in Madagascar can be complicated, but your specialist will arrange all the logistics for getting from A to B.
Nosy Be (‘big island’) is the best-known of Madagascar’s islands, set just off the country’s northwest tip. Here, beaches gradually shelve into the ocean, making them ideal for swimming and snorkeling, and there’s a lively market town. You might like to take a boat trip from here to the aptly named Baobab Beach, on the northwest coast of the mainland, where centuries-old baobabs rise from the white sand.
Also a short boat trip from Nosy Be is the quieter island of Nosy Komba, where you can stroll through the village of Ampangorinana, unwind in hidden coves, and explore trails that lace the forested hills.
Off the northeast coast, the former pirate hideout of Île Sainte-Marie is lined with swaying palms, light-gold sands, and traditional fishing villages. From here, between June and October, you can join a whale-watching trip to spot migratory humpbacks.
Places to visit in the islands & beaches of Madagascar
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the islands & beaches of Madagascar, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring the islands & beaches of Madagascar
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the islands & beaches of Madagascar, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the islands & beaches of Madagascar
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the islands & beaches of Madagascar
- Baobab Beach The islands & beaches of Madagascar
- Ifaty The islands & beaches of Madagascar
- Île Sainte-Marie The islands & beaches of Madagascar
- Nosy Be The islands & beaches of Madagascar
- Nosy Komba The islands & beaches of Madagascar
- Nosy Mangabe The islands & beaches of Madagascar
- Nosy Mitsio Archipelago The islands & beaches of Madagascar
- Antananarivo 71 kilometers away
- Antsirabe 73 kilometers away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 159 kilometers away
- Mantadia National Park 161 kilometers away
- Ranomafana National Park 232 kilometers away
- The Pangalanes Canal 254 kilometers away
- Ambalavao 290 kilometers away
- The Remote West of Madagascar 332 kilometers away
- Eastern Madagascar 391 kilometers away
- Isalo National Park 407 kilometers away
- Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve 473 kilometers away
Photos of the islands & beaches of Madagascar
Accommodation choices for the islands & beaches of Madagascar
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the islands & beaches of Madagascar. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.