Madagascar is fringed by a number of beautiful islands.
Nosy Be is the best known, a relatively developed place with a number of boutique hotels. Though you can find quiet corners of Nosy Be, we prefer the sleepier islands such as Île Sainte-Marie on the east coast, Nosy Komba off northern Madagascar, or the private islands of Tsarabanjina and Nosy Iranja.
On these islands it is easy to find deserted beaches with soft sand and clear water. Ghost crabs scuttle across the sand and — particularly in the north — frigate birds can be seen soaring overhead. Many of the islands have villages on or nearby and you become accustomed to the daily sight of dhows sailing past, filled with thatching palms, grain and cows until they float just inches above the water. In villages breadfruit trees shade bamboo huts and zebu cattle graze in the fields.
The islands are perfect for relaxing after the adventurous experience of Madagascar’s rainforests. Flights go regularly from Antananarivo to Île Sainte-Marie while even more fly to Nosy Be, from where boats reach Nosy Komba, Tsarabanjina and Nosy Iranja. Once on the islands, days can be spent snorkeling and diving, pottering around on a bicycle or just lying on the beach.
Places to visit in the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Baobab Beach The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Ifaty The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Île Sainte-Marie The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Nosy Be The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Nosy Komba The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Nosy Mitsio Archipelago The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
- Antananarivo 45 miles away
- Antsirabe 45 miles away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 99 miles away
- Mantadia National Park 100 miles away
- Ranomafana National Park 144 miles away
- The Pangalanes Canal 158 miles away
- Ambalavao 180 miles away
- The Remote West of Madagascar 206 miles away
- Eastern Madagascar 243 miles away
- Isalo National Park 253 miles away
- Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve 294 miles away
Photos of the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
Accommodation choices for the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Islands & Beaches of Madagascar. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.