Colonial and modern Antsirabe
Signs of its colonial past can still be seen today in the town’s wide boulevards, imposing cathedral and crumbling white villas, enlivened by countless signs of Madagascar today, including the colorful pousse-pousses that race along the town’s streets, all brightly colored, and each with their own name and number plate! Numerous stalls cluster on each street corner selling everything from bananas to spare bicycle parts.
The cool, clear air of the high plateau makes Antsirabe an attractive stop on the route to the south, and it is an excellent place to see local craftsmen at work; hundreds of tiny workshops are scattered across town, making sweets, delicate lacework and tiny model bicycles. A visit to the thermal baths is also fun and you’ll find a wonderfully hot swimming pool full of a lot of splashing and laughter.
Suggested itineraries featuring Antsirabe
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Antsirabe, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Antsirabe
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Antsirabe
- The islands & beaches of Madagascar 45 miles away
- Antananarivo 74 miles away
- Ranomafana National Park 99 miles away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 111 miles away
- Mantadia National Park 112 miles away
- Ambalavao 136 miles away
- The Pangalanes Canal 169 miles away
- The Remote West of Madagascar 196 miles away
- Eastern Madagascar 207 miles away
- Isalo National Park 216 miles away
- Île Sainte-Marie 278 miles away
Photos of Antsirabe
Accommodation choices for Antsirabe
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Antsirabe. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.