Visit Ranomafana National Park, Madagascar
Ranomafana National Park is part of the lush chain of rainforest that runs down Madagascar’s east coast.
Wildlife of Ranomafana National Park
The steep hills are covered in thick vegetation, occasionally broken by waterfalls and mountain streams. The park’s star attraction is the golden bamboo lemur, often found grazing among the bamboo thickets. Eleven other species of lemur include diademed sifakas that leap through the canopy during the day and brown mouse lemurs who race up and down tree trunks by night.
Heading deep into the park, you may hear the calls of cuckoo rollers, catch a glimpse of a leaf-tailed gecko or stumble across the graves of the Tanala, ‘the people of the forest’. It is well worth spending a few days hiking around this enchanting park.
Suggested itinerary featuring Ranomafana National Park
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Ranomafana National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Ranomafana National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ranomafana National Park
- Ambalavao 52 miles away
- Antsirabe 99 miles away
- The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar 144 miles away
- Eastern Madagascar 158 miles away
- Antananarivo 162 miles away
- Isalo National Park 163 miles away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 173 miles away
- Mantadia National Park 174 miles away
- The Pangalanes Canal 219 miles away
- The Remote West of Madagascar 220 miles away
- Manafiafy 245 miles away
- Andohahela National Park 249 miles away
- The Southern Tip of Madagascar 252 miles away
- Ifotaka Community Forest 261 miles away
- Fort Dauphin 263 miles away
- Berenty Reserve 270 miles away
- Ifaty 281 miles away
- Central & Southern Madagascar 282 miles away
- Anakao 294 miles away
Photos of Ranomafana National Park
Accommodation choices for Ranomafana National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ranomafana National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
As the closest lodge to the town it is a good place for those who would like to wander down, but guests should be aware that the accommodation around Ranomafana is fairly basic and this is no exception.
Though fairly simple and a bit lacking in character, Setam is the closest lodge to the national park, around five minutes away from the gate, and this is one of our favorite options in the area.