Visit Nosy Be, Madagascar
Nosy Be lies off the northwest of Madagascar and has a near-perfect climate — sunshine with brief showers that are often at night.
The soils are fertile and sugar, pepper and ylang-ylang are all grown for export.
There is one busy town, Hell-Ville, where the roads are packed with ancient Renault taxis, zebu-carts, bicycles and pedestrians. Tourist shops jostle for space with local stalls that sell everything from chili peppers to mangrove crabs caked in mud. North of Hell-Ville the road winds around the west coast where a few hotels cluster around sandy beaches.
Beaches of Nosy Be
Nosy Be’s beaches are ideal for swimming as they shelve gradually, staying shallow for miles out to sea, but they are peaceful and hassle-free, with pirogues lying abandoned in the sand and dhows floating past offshore.
The calm waters of the Nosy Be region in North West Madagascar are also well suited to sailing.
Suggested itinerary featuring Nosy Be
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Nosy Be, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Nosy Be
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Nosy Be
- Nosy Komba 19 kilometers away
- Ankify 28 kilometers away
- Baobab Beach 33 kilometers away
- Nosy Mitsio Archipelago 59 kilometers away
- Ankarana Special Reserve 104 kilometers away
- Amber Mountain National Park and Joffreville 134 kilometers away
- Joffreville Ambohitra 139 kilometers away
- Northern Madagascar 149 kilometers away
- Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve 216 kilometers away
- Maroantsetra 283 kilometers away
- Nosy Mangabe 291 kilometers away
- Masoala National Park 325 kilometers away
- Île Sainte-Marie 438 kilometers away
Photos of Nosy Be
Accommodation choices for Nosy Be
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Nosy Be. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Hotel Vanila is located by the sea, on the north-western part of Nosy Be and faces the island of Sakatia, the 'Orchid Island'.
Ideas for experiencing Nosy Be
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Nosy Be, and which use the best local guides.
Madavoile is a small privately owned yacht chartering company, who operate out of Crater Bay on the island of Nosy Be.View details