Visit Central & Southern Madagascar, Madagascar
Route Nationale 7 winds through central and southern Madagascar, starting at Antananarivo and ending on the south-west coast at Tulear.
Each town and village beside the road has its own character, from Betsileo country in the high plateau, through the wild Bara farmlands, and on to tiny Vezo fishing villages on the coast.
Ranomafana National Park
Starting in Tana and heading south, to the east lies the lush rainforest belt, including Ranomafana National Park, with rolling tree-covered hills, tumbling waterfalls, and lemurs, chameleons and geckos galore! Closer to the southern tip, the landscape becomes increasingly dramatic, more open and wild, as the climate becomes more arid.
Isalo National Park
Isalo National Park can be seen for miles away, with stunning rock formations, limpid tropical pools, and deciduous woodland where lemurs and sifakas frolic amongst the branches. At the southernmost tip of the road lies the spiny desert, with succulent aloes, twisted octopus plants and spiky cacti.
Places to visit in Central & Southern Madagascar
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Central & Southern Madagascar, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring Central & Southern Madagascar
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Central & Southern Madagascar, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Central & Southern Madagascar
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Central & Southern Madagascar. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Central & Southern Madagascar
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Central & Southern Madagascar
- Ambalavao Central & Southern Madagascar
- Antananarivo Central & Southern Madagascar
- Antsirabe Central & Southern Madagascar
- Isalo National Park Central & Southern Madagascar
- Ranomafana National Park Central & Southern Madagascar
- Ifaty less than 5 kilometers away
- Anakao 36 kilometers away
- Eastern Madagascar 199 kilometers away
- Ifotaka Community Forest 297 kilometers away
- The Southern Tip of Madagascar 298 kilometers away
- The Remote West of Madagascar 312 kilometers away
- Berenty Reserve 326 kilometers away
- Andohahela National Park 347 kilometers away
- Fort Dauphin 386 kilometers away
- Manafiafy 393 kilometers away