Ambalavao is a very attractive small town, typical of the Central Highlands. The old part of town has wooden balconies with elaborate carvings, tiled roofs and people carrying pails of water.
The town is known for its paper making and is the home of the Malagasy 'Antaimoro' paper which is papyrus based paper with wild flowers in. You can visit the factory which is mostly flowerbeds and have a small tour and visit the shop.
There is a lively cattle market on Monday and Thursdays on the outskirts of town. This starts at 3am so you are unlikely to see the beginning but you will see a large number zebu and herdsmen on the roads.
Map of Ambalavao
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ambalavao
- Ranomafana National Park 52 miles away
- Eastern Madagascar 112 miles away
- Isalo National Park 116 miles away
- Antsirabe 136 miles away
- The Islands & Beaches of Madagascar 180 miles away
- The Remote West of Madagascar 202 miles away
- Manafiafy 205 miles away
- Andohahela National Park 205 miles away
- The Southern Tip of Madagascar 205 miles away
- Antananarivo 205 miles away
- Ifotaka Community Forest 214 miles away
- Fort Dauphin 221 miles away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 222 miles away
- Mantadia National Park 223 miles away
- Berenty Reserve 224 miles away
- Ifaty 234 miles away
- Central & Southern Madagascar 234 miles away
- Anakao 246 miles away
- The Pangalanes Canal 270 miles away
Photos of Ambalavao
Accommodation choices for Ambalavao
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ambalavao. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.