Satemwa Tea Estate is just an hour's drive from Blantyre through breathtaking scenery of rolling, brilliant green hills that don't match typical perceptions of Africa. It is the home of Chip Cathcart Kay and his wife Dawn, who have a busy job growing tea, coffee and timber, as well as making cheese and bottling mineral water from the nearby mountain springs. Alongside this, they have converted a few of the estate buildings to welcome guests.
The original family home was built in 1928 by Chip's father Maclean Kay, and could previously be hired as a private rental. Huntingdon House, as it is now called, has been renovated into five luxurious bedrooms, each with an en suite bathroom. The renovations have been very sensitively done to ensure the colonial feel of the house, with shady verandas for afternoon snoozes and roaring fires to snuggle up by in the cooler winter months, has not been spoilt.
Each different part of the house reflects its original use, be it the children's play room or the family chapel. Evening meals will still retain a sense of colonial grandeur, with silver service and fresh produce grown on the estate. Outside, there are rolling manicured lawns, 100 year old trees, and quiet terraces — perfect for a quiet afternoon cup of tea! The colorful gardens are very attractive, encouraging long walks in and around them and the whole area is a dream setting for photographers.
Speak to someone
who's been there
Start planning your tailor-made trip by contacting one of our Malawi specialists
- Make an inquiry
Photos of Huntingdon House
Location & places nearby
Places & hotels on the map
Thyolo Region and nearby places
- Majete Wildlife Reserve 55 kilometers away
- Zomba Plateau 80 kilometers away
- Liwonde National Park 133 kilometers away
- The Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear 230 kilometers away
- Lilongwe 273 kilometers away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 367 kilometers away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 448 kilometers away
- Lake Malawi 497 kilometers away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 518 kilometers away
- The Northern Lakeshore 532 kilometers away