Kuala Terengganu is an excellent stopping off point for journeys up or down the coast and the nearby hotels of Tanjong Jara and the Aryani are favourites of ours on the east coast.
The town itself is well developed due to significant investments from local oil money but the ruling sultan has ensured the area retains its cultural charm and laid back pace of life. With one of Southeast Asia's best museums, colourful markets and good opportunities for traditional crafts and cloth shopping it is certainly worth a visit. Slightly inland of the town the jungle interior opens up the possibility to explore the many rivers and waterfalls in the region.
Map of Kuala Terengganu
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Kuala Terengganu
- Redang Island 33 miles away
- Perhentian Islands 50 miles away
- Taman Negara National Park 73 miles away
- The East Coast 106 miles away
- Belum Rainforest 126 miles away
- Cameron Highlands 134 miles away
- Fraser's Hill (Bukit Fraser) 146 miles away
- Kuala Lumpur 179 miles away
- Tioman Island 190 miles away
- Penang 193 miles away
- Pangkor Islands 194 miles away
- Malacca 224 miles away
- Langkawi 239 miles away
Ideas for experiencing Kuala Terengganu
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Kuala Terengganu, and which use the best local guides.