The Emmental Show Dairy is the place to see where the best-known Swiss cheese gets made — and how. Take a tour of a working dairy and get a taste of the traditional methods used from the 18th century to today.
The Bristol, a Swiss design hotel with a British accent, invites its guests to ‘always look on the bright side of life’.
A comfortable option in Bern’s old town and convenient to both the city’s sights and the train to your next stop, the hotel’s 100 guest rooms are decorated in browns, golds, and fun tartan prints. All rooms offer a pillow menu and rain showers.
The Bristol Lounge also seeks to evoke a sense of a British home, serving afternoon tea, full English breakfast, Cornish pasties and British cheeses. The playfully decorated lobby includes such oddball touches as lampshades shaped like bowler hats. At the bar, you can sip creative cocktails with an emphasis on gin, along with port and beers in both English and Swiss styles.
Your stay also includes the Bern Ticket, which gives you full access to Bern’s public transit, the funicular railways up the local mountains and travel to and from Bern airport.
Speak to someone
who's been there
Start planning your tailor-made trip by contacting one of our Switzerland specialists
- 01993 838 237
- Make an enquiry
We suggest the spacious Executive rooms, though the smaller Business and Smart rooms both offer good value without as much room to stretch out. Luxury rooms on the top floor have views of the Swiss Parliament and decorative touches inspired by the Scottish Highlands, with soft tweed furnishings and warm tartan spreads.
All rooms have air conditioning, free Wi-Fi, rain showers and an iPad loaded with local information to help guide you on your stay. A minibar comes standard, with complimentary soft drinks.
This hotel puts you just a five-minute walk from the train station in the old town. Bern’s excellent public transport system can take you to all of the sights in the Swiss capital, free of charge with the Bern Ticket you receive with your stay. But the location is also well-suited to exploring the city’s narrow streets on foot.
Food and drink
- The Bristol Lounge is an informal, pub-like space with a simple but tasty menu for breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner.
- British-style afternoon tea offered daily.
- British-inspired menu, with house-baked pies, British cheeses and both local and UK beers on draft.
- Full English breakfast available, as part of a sizeable breakfast buffet also offering local foods.
- Seasonal cocktails and menu offerings.
- Executive rooms have a sofa bed to convert them into a family room.
Facilities and activities
- Extensive fitness room on the top floor.
- Included access to the nearby Migros Fitness Club, with sauna and steam bath.
- Pillow menu for your comfort.
- Bern Ticket, for unlimited public transit around the city.
- Free access to bikes at the reception desk.
The Bristol is well-situated in the heart of Bern’s old town, which makes it a good base from which to see the city. We like the comfortable rooms and relaxed, witty atmosphere of this fun hotel.
Places & hotels on the map
Experiences while staying here
The following activities are designed to give you the most authentic experiences of the area where you’re staying. We work with local guides, who use their knowledge and often a resident’s eye to show you the main sights and more out-of-the-way attractions. Our specialists can also suggest outdoor pursuits and activities, such as cooking classes, that will introduce you to the traditions of the area’s inhabitants.