The largest lake in New Zealand, Lake Taupo is known for its trout, Maori rock carvings, white-water rafting, jet boat rides and views of the volcanic Tongariro National Park.
Widely known as the trout fishing capital of the Southern Hemisphere, Lake Taupo abounds with rocky coves, white pumice beaches and sheltered inlets that can only be reached by boat.
It’s the starting point for fishing trips, jet boat rides on the famous ‘Huka Jet’ and white water rafting trips on the surrounding rivers.
Lake Taupo scenic cruise
A cruise across majestic Lake Taupo takes visitors to the impressive Maori rock carvings at Mine Bay, as well as visiting other points of scenic and historical interest around the lake shores.
On a clear day, the views across the deep blue waters to the impressive volcanoes of Ruapehu, Tongariro and Ngauruhoe are unsurpassable.
Suggested itineraries featuring Lake Taupo
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lake Taupo, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Taupo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Taupo
- Rotorua 40 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 48 miles away
- Waitomo 60 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 68 miles away
- Tauranga 70 miles away
- Napier 72 miles away
- Hastings 79 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 80 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 103 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 106 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 111 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 111 miles away
- Waikato 116 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 124 miles away
- Waiheke Island 143 miles away
- Auckland 146 miles away
- Devonport 147 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 163 miles away
- Greytown 169 miles away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 173 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 176 miles away
- Warkworth 177 miles away
- Martinborough 179 miles away
- Wellington 193 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 201 miles away
- Picton 211 miles away
- Blenheim 226 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 227 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 227 miles away
- Nelson 232 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 248 miles away
- The Kauri Coast 250 miles away
- Paihia 260 miles away
- Russell 261 miles away
- Bay of Islands 265 miles away
- Kerikeri 267 miles away
- Matauri Bay 279 miles away
- Kaikoura 286 miles away
Accommodation choices for Lake Taupo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Taupo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Lake Taupo
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Lake Taupo, and which use the best local guides.