At the southern end of Lake Taupo, the three active volcanic mountains of Ruapehu, Tongariro and Ngauruhoe are protected as a National Park. In the winter the area is a playground for skiers and in summer a wilderness for walking.
Dotted with emerald lakes and criss-crossed with lava flows, this is some of New Zealand’s most varied and remarkable terrain. The best way to explore is by tramping, but other activities including scenic flights, kayaking, rafting and mountain biking are on offer in the small local townships.
The Tongariro Crossing
Often billed as the finest one-day walk in New Zealand, the Tongariro Crossing is a superb introduction to the region’s scenic beauty. The track itself takes seven to eight hours to complete, with shuttles available to and from the start and end points.
It crosses alpine scrubland and moonscape craters, skirts emerald lakes and passes hot springs before descending through dense podocarp forest to the Ketatahi Hut. Optional side trips climb the summits of Mount Ngaurohoe and Mount Tongariro for panoramic views over the Thermal Plateau.
Suggested Tongariro National Park itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Tongariro National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Tongariro National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tongariro National Park
- Lake Taupo 48 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 56 miles away
- Waitomo 71 miles away
- Hastings 76 miles away
- Napier 76 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 80 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 81 miles away
- Rotorua 85 miles away
- Tauranga 113 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 113 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 118 miles away
- Greytown 128 miles away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 132 miles away
- Waikato 136 miles away
- Martinborough 138 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 140 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 145 miles away
- Wellington 148 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 154 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 161 miles away
- Picton 165 miles away
- Auckland 171 miles away
- Waiheke Island 171 miles away
- Devonport 172 miles away
- Blenheim 179 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 181 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 182 miles away
- Nelson 185 miles away
- Warkworth 202 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 203 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 211 miles away
- Kaikoura 240 miles away
- The Kauri Coast 268 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 269 miles away
- Paihia 285 miles away
- Russell 286 miles away
- Bay of Islands 291 miles away
- Kerikeri 291 miles away
- Punakaiki 297 miles away
Accommodation choices for Tongariro National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tongariro National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Tongariro National Park
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Tongariro National Park, and which use the best local guides.